Principal Cast: Rachel Weisz, Timothy Spall, Tom Wilkinson, Andrew Scott
Academy Award winner Rachel Weisz (Youth, The Lobster) and Timothy Spall (Mr. Turner, The King’s Speech) star in this riveting courtroom drama about a real-life legal battle that cut to the heart of the 20th century: the showdown between historian Deborah Lipstadt and notorious Holocaust denier David Irving. Directed by Emmy winner Mick Jackson
and adapted by BAFTA and Berlin Golden Bear–winning screenwriter David Hare from Lipstadt’s book History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier, this film is an absorbing account of a woman’s fight for the truth.
David Irving (Spall), once a well-regarded military historian, courted controversy when he began citing the pseudoscientific Leuchter report as proof that the Holocaust was a hoax. Lipstadt (Weisz) explicitly labelled him a denier in her 1993 book Denying the Holocaust, leading him to sue her for libel. However, because the burden of proof in British libel law lies with the accused rather than with the accuser, it bizarrely fell to Lipstadt and her legal team to demonstrate that one of the defining events of the centurydid actually happen.
Another illuminating performance by Rachel Weisz and a brilliant screenplay by the distinguished British playwright David Hare make Denial one of the most powerful and riveting courtroom dramas ever made.
- Directed by Mick Jackson
- Produced by Gary Foster, Russ Krasnoff
- Screenplay by David Hare
- Based on History on Trial: My Day in Court with a Holocaust Denier by Deborah Lipstadt
- Starring Rachel Weisz, Tom Wilkinson, Timothy Spall, Andrew Scott, Jack Lowden, Caren Pistorius, Alex Jennings
- Music by Howard Shore
- Cinematography Haris Zambarloukos
- Edited by Justine Wright
- Release date: September 11, 2016 (TIFF), September 30, 2016 (United States), January 27, 2017 (United Kingdom)
- Running time: 110 minutes
- Country: United Kingdom, United States
- Language: English