Principal Cast: Adam Driver, Golshifteh Farahani, Barry Shabaka Henley
Small-town American life has inspired filmmakers for over a century. In the process, it has created a storytelling tradition that counters the big-city syndrome of so many New York and Los Angeles–set films. With Paterson, Jim Jarmusch brings his unique observational eye to both a character and a community that bear the same name, hinting at ideas of continuity and stability. Jarmusch has previously focused on the quotidian; his films are quiet and reflective, and in many respects cut against the grain of most contemporary American filmmaking. Here he has created a film that gently transforms the ordinary into the transcendent.
Paterson (Adam Driver) works as a bus driver in Paterson, New Jersey — an ordinary working guy in a run-of-the-mill small city. His life is regulated clockwork: up around 6am, home by 6pm, walk the dog, drop by the local tavern, drink a beer, chat with the bartender. His wife is a perfect match — Laura (Golshifteh Farahani) is as even-handed and –tempered as her husband. However, there’s more beneath the surface, found in each character’s internal lives: Paterson is a poet and Laura a repressed artistic gadfly. Each day before driving the streets, Paterson scrawls a poem in his notebook, and each evening Laura welcomes him home with a new and quirky surprise. Throughout, Jarmusch envelopes these characters, and their community, with a magical yet perfectly balanced air of simplicity and well-being.
- Directed by Jim Jarmusch
- Produced by Joshua Astrachan, Carter Logan
- Written by Jim Jarmusch
- Starring Adam Driver, Golshifteh Farahani, Barry Shabaka Henley, Cliff Smith, Chasten Harmon, William Jackson Harper, Masatoshi Nagase
- Music by Carter Logan
- Cinematography Frederick Elmes
- Edited by Affonso Gonçalves
- Release date: May 16, 2016 (Cannes), November 17, 2016 (Germany), December 21, 2016 (France), December 28, 2016 (United States)
- Running time: 118 minutes
- Country: United States, Germany, France
- Language: English